Injuries resulting from truck accidents in Indiana can be very serious or fatal. Medical treatment for many truck accident injuries is also very limited. Some injuries can cause permanent disabilities that include brain damage and paralysis. Some of the common injuries suffered by the victims of truck accidents are as follows:
- Brain injury – Traumatic brain injury (TBI) can result from objects making direct contact with the head or from violent movement of the head that causes the brain to bounce against the skull. Brain injuries can cause permanent mental impairment and loss of motor skills.
- Spinal injury – Spinal injuries are very serious because they can result in partial or total paralysis. Spinal injuries may occur in the lower spine or in the neck.
- Back injury – Herniated discs and other back injuries may result from truck accidents. Some of these injuries take years of physical therapy and pain management to treat.
- Burns – Fires may occur during truck accidents, especially when the truck involved is carrying
flammable cargo. Burns are extremely painful and can be disfiguring.
- Fractures, lacerations and contusions – Broken bones, cuts and bruises are the most common injuries in truck accidents. Many of these injuries are highly treatable, but they are often accompanied by more serious injuries.