Every truck accident case is unique, and the steps that must be taken in any particular case vary. You should consult with an experienced Illinois truck accident attorney to obtain legal advice regarding how to proceed in any given matter. That said, although the below is not legal advice, below are some of the general steps that individuals often take following an incident
- Call 911 immediately.
It is virtually always necessary to get police and emergency medical personnel on the scene of an accident.
- Take it easy
You may not be able to tell right away if you or someone else involved has sustained serious injuries. Shock and adrenaline can mask internal injuries and head trauma.
- Do not admit fault
Be careful what you say to police and to the other driver. Admissions can be used against you in a truck accident case and you may not be aware of all of the facts and circumstances that contributed to an incident when the admission is made.
- Be careful who you talk to
Only discuss the facts of the accident with police and others involved. Cooperate with emergency personnel.
- Follow the advice of emergency medical personnel and seek immediate medical attention for injuries.
Document as much at the accident scene as you can. This can include the truck driver’s name, address, phone number, email, insurance information, trucking company info, license plate number, and make and model of 18 Wheeler. The contact information of all passengers and witnesses, photos and/or video of vehicle damage, road conditions, witnesses, other people involved in the truck accident and any other elements of the accident scene, police officers’ names and badge numbers, police report number and a copy of the report, and be sure to eport the accident to your insurance company.
- Consult with an experienced Illinois personal injury attorney before giving a recorded statement to any insurance company
If you ever elect to pursue a claim, information that you give to anyone can possibly be misunderstood and taken out of context to be used against your case.
- Medical Attention
Be sure to see a doctor of your choice for appropriate medical attention.
If you hire our network of Illinois truck accident attorneys, below are some of the steps we take:
- We will handle all communications with insurance companies.
- We will help you understand your full legal rights and options.
- We will obtain and evaluate all accident information collected at the scene and by insurance companies.
- We will launch our own independent investigation, collaborating when appropriate with accident reconstructionists and other experts to build a strong case and establish the full value of your injuries and other losses.
- We will keep you informed throughout the legal process and provide you with the means to communicate with us when you need to do so.